JEDDAH, KSA March 19, 2015/African Press Organization (APO)/ — The President of Islamic Development Bank (IDB) (http://www.isdb.org) Dr Ahmed Mohamed Ali has chaired the first meeting of a body of 13 global experts to be known as the President’s Advisory Panel (PAP). The role of the members of the panel is to advise the IDB on how to tackle economic and development challenges.
Photo: http://www.photos.apo-opa.com/index.php?level=picture&id=1615 (Dr. Ahmed Mohamed Ali, President of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB)
Dr Ahmad Ali stated that the advisory panel brings reputable statesmen and women, who have amassed experience in different sectors of the economy and international development, to advise in steering the IDB towards making greater impact to both its member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries.
“As we have our first meeting today in Jeddah, I have full confidence in your ability to discharge this important responsibility. You have managed nations and institutions, you have excelled with distinction in the private and public sector, and you have won the highest honours in the world. The IDB is optimistic that with this kind of experience and expertise, you would come up with ideas that will help us confront the challenges of the 21st century”, Dr Ahmad Ali told the 10 members of the Advisory Panel who attended the inaugural session.
“We have to be proud that IDB has AAA rating. I congratulate the President and his staff. Since we have been successful in the last 40 years, the expectation will also be high. But I believe that IDB is well positioned to deliver what is expected from it”, said Dr Abdullah Gul, former President of Turkey during his address at the inaugural session.
In his remarks, the former President of Indonesia, Dr Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie, emphasized the need to focus on science & technology, and the development of human resources in order to achieve meaningful development.
Members of the Advisory Panel are:
1. H. E. Prof. Dr. -Ing. Dr. Sc. H. Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie (Former President of Indonesia)
2 H. E. Dr. Abdullah Gul (Former President of Turkey)
3 H. E. Dr. Jobarah Al-Suraisry, (Former Transport Minister, KSA)
4. H. E. Madam Aïcha Bah Diallo (former Minister of Education Guinea-Conakry)
5 H. E. Madam Bintou Sanogoh (Former Minister of Finance Burkina Faso)
6. H. E. Dr. Jacques Diouf (Former Director General, Food & Agricultural Organisation (FAO)
7. H. E. Saleh Abdullah Kamel (Chairman, General Council of Islamic Banks)
8. H. E. Mr. Abdul Aziz Al-Zaabi (Member, Federal National Council, UAE)
9. H. E. Dr. Surin Abdul Halim Pitsuwan (Former Foreign Minister, Thailand)
10. H. E. Dr. Ishrat Husain (Former Governor, State Bank of Pakistan)
1. H. E. Prof. Dr. Abbas Mirakhor (First holder of INCIEF Chair of Islamic Finance)
12. H. E. Prof Dr. Muhammad Yunus (Nobel Laureate and founder Grameen Bank)
13. H. E. Abdellatif Jouahri (Governor Central Bank of Morocco)
Dr Ahmad Ali finally stated that IDB is working on developing a 10 year strategic framework aimed at maximizing the impact of the bank in addressing key global challenges, he explained that the input of the members of the President’s Advisory Panel will be crucial for the IDB Group.
Distributed by APO (African Press Organization) on behalf of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB).