Mineral Resources Committee Accepts Apology from Minister Zwane

The Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources, whereas it was to hold Minister Msebenzi Zwane accountable in relation to the allegations of state capture on Tuesday 28 November 2017, has received and accepted his apology.

Following its first engagement with the Minister Zwane on 18 October 2017, the Committee had agreed to allow him to indicate when he would be available again to answer further questions.

Accordingly, Minister Zwane committed to appear before the Committee on 28 November 2017, in which he later apologised.

“Having accepted his apology, the Committee will give the Minister a new date of 24 January 2018 to come and answer further questions. We remain committed to get into the bottom of the state capture allegations involving the Minister,” said Sahlulele Luzipo, Chairperson of the Committee.

On the other hand, the Committee has welcomed presentation by the Deputy Minister of the Department of Mineral Resources, Mr Godfrey Oliphant, on the role played by government in the class action case brought by 30 000 former mine workers against 87 gold mines.

“Although we appreciate the complexity of the case, we encourage all the stakeholders to work together in bringing about finality in the matter. We expect a progress report in March next year from the Deputy Minister in relation to the national compensation trust and how all the parties have resolved to work together,” said Mr Luzipo.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Republic of South Africa: The Parliament.

Media files

Download logo

Source:: Mineral Resources Committee Accepts Apology from Minister Zwane

      

Categories: AFRICA | Tags: | Leave a comment

Energy Summit in Abidjan to explore West Africa’s gas & energy markets

EnergyNet (www.EnergyNet.co.uk) will host the second Regional Energy Co-operation Summit in Côte d’Ivoire from 24-25 January 2018 – a strategic platform for project evolution and partnership development. The conference will discuss opportunities for cross-border power projects and potential gas investments across West Africa.

At the first Regional Energy Co-operation Summit (www.Regional-Energy-Cooperation-Summit.com) in January 2017, His Excellency Thierry Tanoh, Minister of Petroleum, Energy and Renewable Energies summed up the relevance of the summit with his statement; “[t]he importance of the theme (Regional Energy Cooperation Summit) is well established in the light of the needs of African countries in terms of access to different energy sources, including renewable energies”.

The 2018 Summit will review outcomes from last year’s meeting, identifying next steps and bringing together ECOWAS decision-makers and global energy investors to advance regional partnerships and interconnection projects.

Programme Manager Valeria Aruffo commented; “Given the abundant reserves from many West African gas fields which will firstly be harnessed for power and domestic use, the summit will instigate the conversation surrounding the sub-region’s booming global gas market. We’ll focus on export and import capacities, balancing domestic obligation and regional trade, and of course the role of LNG in facilitating gas development in the sub-region.”

With the overarching theme of regional integration in West Africa, the summit will gather ECOWAS energy ministers and government representatives, heads of utilities, regulators, power developers, technology providers, financiers and multilateral agencies from across West Africa to discuss how to unlock investments for the development of power projects.

Alongside partners ENGIE, Manitoba Hydro, Metka, Wartsila & Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP), the Summit is officially endorsed by Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo), ANER, Energy Commission Ghana and the Electricity Company of Ghana.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of EnergyNet Ltd..

For more information about this meeting:
Contact: Monique Bonnick – Marketing Executive
Event dates: 24th – 25th January
Event location: Sofitel Abidjan Hotel Ivoire
Organisers: EnergyNet, Ltd
Email: RECS@EnergyNet.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0)20 7384 7901
Visit: www.Regional-Energy-Cooperation-Summit.com

Source:: Energy Summit in Abidjan to explore West Africa’s gas & energy markets

      

Categories: AFRICA | Tags: | Leave a comment

Ghana Rugby to tender for 2018 international tournaments

The Ghana Rugby Football Union (GRFU) (http://GhanaRugby.org) has indicated that it plans to submit tenders to host two international rugby tournaments in 2018.

The Africa Rugby tournament schedules for 2018 was announced last week and Ghana has been included in the Men’s 15s Bronze Cup in April 2018 as well as in the Men’s 7s Tournament in October 2018.

In addition to the Africa Rugby tournaments, Ghana Rugby also intends to host an international men’s 7s tournament between eight nations that will primarily include West African Rugby Unions. A date for this tournament is yet to be finalised.

The inclusion of Ghana Rugby in the Africa Rugby tournaments followed the achievements by Ghana Rugby over the past three years and specifically the approval of the Union as Full Member of World Rugby.

According to the President and Board Chairman of Ghana Rugby, Mr. Herbert Mensah, the hosting of international tournaments by Ghana Rugby goes beyond just rugby.

“The hosting of international tournaments is indeed a national issue and as such should be regarded as an investment by the country to promote Ghana as country and as event destination,” Mensah said.

Mensah continued to say that such international sports tournaments provide the ideal platform to fly Ghana’s flag high to the global community, to instill pride in Ghanaians to be a Ghanaian, to promote Ghana as international hosting destination, to support economic activity in Ghana, and to improve Ghana’s chance at success to win the event.

Mensah continued to say, “A good example is the Africa Rugby Bronze Cup in April where Mauritius will be competing. In quarter three of 2016, Mauritius had the largest investments values in Ghana with a Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) value of US$178 million. Hosting that tournament in Ghana will obviously have a very good image impact on a very important segment of investors.”

The Africa Rugby Men’s 15s Bronze Cup is scheduled for 16 to 21 April 2018 and Ghana, Lesotho, Mauritius and Rwanda will compete for the spoils of promotion to the 2019 Africa Rugby Silver Cup.

Twelve nations will compete in the October 2018 Africa Rugby Men’s Sevens Tournament including Kenya, Uganda, Madagascar, Morocco, Zambia, Tunisia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Senegal, Mauritius, Ghana and one other Union.

Mensah said that, although successful bidders are given a grant for the hosting of such tournaments, the grants always fall well short of the total funds required to professionally host such important national events.

“Rugby, as all other sports, is dependent on the support from the Government of Ghana and from corporate and other sponsors to fly Ghana’s flag high and proud and to make us all proud to be Ghanaians,” he said.

Overview of Ghana Rugby “Mission Silver Cup” can be viewed here (http://APO.af/qPZcA8).

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Ghana Rugby Football Union.

Website: http://GhanaRugby.org Email: info@GhanaRugby.org

About Ghana Rugby
The Ghana Rugby Association operating as the Ghana Rugby Football Union (GRFU) (http://GhanaRugby.org) is the body responsible for the development and management of Rugby in Ghana. The GRFU is a Full Member of both World Rugby and Rugby Afrique and it is a sports association registered with the National Sports Authority (NSA) under the Ministry of Youth and Sports.

Ghana Rugby is also acknowledged by the Ghana Olympic Committee (GOC) as the representative body of Rugby in Ghana.

Source:: Ghana Rugby to tender for 2018 international tournaments

      

Categories: AFRICA | Tags: | Leave a comment

South Africa: Department of Environmental affairs shutdown by activists

Greenpeace Africa (www.Greenpeace.org/africa) and Earthlife Africa Jhb (http://Earthlife.org.za) activists have today confronted the Department of Environmental Affairs by blocking the main entrance to the Department ​with nuclear barrels. The activists made a public demand that the Department of Environmental Affairs withdraws the environmental authorisation that has been issued for a proposed nuclear power station at Duynefontein, adjacent to Koeberg in the Western Cape.

At dawn, Greenpeace Africa and Earthlife activists unloaded nuclear barrels filled with smoke and simulated a nuclear disaster. The activists held banners stating that nuclear is never safe and that South Africans say no to nuclear. The main message ‘Stop Nuclear, Protect our Future’ is being displayed on a massive banner, which is hanging from the entrance to the building itself. The protest highlights the fact that nuclear is dangerous and expensive and should not be under consideration in South Africa.

“The Minister of Environmental Affairs is the custodian of the environment for South Africa. The Minister is tasked with ensuring that our constitutional right to a healthy environment is protected for current and future generations. Approving the construction of a nuclear power station is outright negligence and the Minister is putting all South Africans at risk, including future generations. South Africans are clearly saying no to nuclear, and there is no point coming to work if you are going to completely fail to do your job”, said Melita Steele, Senior Climate and Energy Campaign Manager for Greenpeace Africa.

The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the new nuclear power station has been a drawn-out process for nearly a decade, with affected communities, civil society and South African citizens conned into contributing to what has been a flawed process from the start. The Minister has chosen to discard the input of civil society and follow the recommendations of a flawed EIA report, which were based on outdated, and incomplete information, as well as assumptions that are not justified or justifiable.

“The 30 day period for South Africans to appeal the environmental authorisation for Duynefontein comes to an end tomorrow. Earthlife Africa and Greenpeace Africa are here to show our opposition to the construction of a new nuclear power station in this country, and to call on the Minister to withdraw her approval. Our activists will continue to blockade the entrance until our demands are met. We are calling on all South Africans to support us in our appeal to the Minister to retract the authorisation for Duynefontenin.” said Makoma Lekalakala, Senior Programmes Officer for Earthlife Africa, Johannesburg.

A detailed appeal will be submitted to the Minister ​on Friday. Greenpeace, Earthlife Africa and SAFCEI will consider their legal options in terms of the way forward, pending a decision on the appeal by the Department of Environmental Affairs.

The True Cost of Nuclear Report, available: http://APO.af/P4a3hk

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Greenpeace.

Contact Details:
Earthlife Africa, Johannesburg: Makoma Lekalakala
Mobile: 082 682 9177

Greenpeace Africa: Lerato Ngakane
Mobile: 082 614 2676

Media files

Download logo

Multimedia content

Source:: South Africa: Department of Environmental affairs shutdown by activists

      

Categories: AFRICA | Tags: | Leave a comment