Baird Congratulates Tunisians on Free and Peaceful Presidential Election

OTTAWA, Canada, November 24, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ — Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird today released the following statement commending Tunisians on their country’s peaceful and credible presidential election:

“Today, the people of Tunisia participated in a well-organized, credible and peaceful election, and for the first time in their history exercised their democratic right to freely choose the country’s next president.

“A contingent of Canadians participated in international observation missions during Tunisia’s parliamentary election and today’s presidential election, and Canada was pleased to contribute to local observation efforts during both elections.

“On behalf of all Canadians, I applaud the tremendous progress that has been achieved in the pursuit of a free and democratic Tunisia and reiterate Canada’s support for Tunisia’s continued efforts to strengthen its democracy and build a prosperous and secure future for all Tunisians.”

For updates on Tunisia’s election, please visit Embassy of Canada to Tunisia on Facebook.

Categories: AFRICA

Government announces new funding to fight Ebola in West Africa

DUBLIN, Ireland, November 24, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ — The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Charlie Flanagan, TD, and the Minister for Development, Trade Promotion and North South Co-operation, Seán Sherlock, TD, today announced new funding of over €220,000 to respond to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

Today’s funding, to the NGO Plan, will support families in Sierra Leone who have been quarantined as a result of Ebola by providing food packages, fuel and other vital supplies.

The funding announced today is in addition to more than €4 million of Irish Government money being released this week to strengthen health services and tackle Ebola in West Africa.

This €4 million will help strengthen the health system in Liberia, one of the three countries in West Africa most affected by the Ebola outbreak. It is part of Ireland’s long term commitment to strengthening the fragile Liberian health system. It will support a programme which provides free basic healthcare to the most vulnerable people in Liberia, estimated at one quarter of the total population.

In 2014, Ireland will provide over €17 million to affected countries in West Africa, directly and through NGOs.

Announcing the support, Minister Flanagan said:

“I am pleased to announce, together with my colleague Minister Sherlock, that we have approved additional funding to tackle the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa.

“At last week’s meeting of EU Foreign Affairs Ministers, Ebola was again high on the agenda and the importance of enhancing the support for health workers and building health systems on the groups in affected countries was highlighted in the Council’s Conclusions.”

“Health is the main focus of Ireland’s development programme in Liberia and the Ebola outbreak has clearly shown the need for continued support investment in fragile health systems.

“The funding of €4 million will support health workers and provide for drug procurement and distribution; providing vital, life-saving care to some of the most vulnerable people.

“Supporting the motivation and retention of professional health workers within the Liberian health system is a crucial element of tackling the Ebola outbreak in the country.”

Minister Sherlock, who recently was the first European Minister to visit Sierra Leone since the crisis began, said:

“The levels of transmission of Ebola continue to be a cause of grave concern, with suspected cases now topping 15,000.

“Ebola will only be halted at its source in West Africa and the international community must continue to do all it can to contain this deadly virus.

“In addition to strengthening the health systems of affected countries, tackling Ebola effectively involves supporting families who have been quarantined because of a suspected or confirmed case of Ebola.”

Speaking about the funding for Plan in Sierra Leone, Minister Sherlock added:

“The new funding announced today for the Ebola response will help to reduce transmission of the disease by encouraging communities to work with the authorities to isolate potential cases.

“These communities must receive the essential assistance they need when quarantined. We cannot expect people to remain in their homes without basic food and other provisions. I have seen at first hand the fragility of the systems combating this disease and this funding will aid in that fight.

“Bringing the Ebola outbreak under control will be impossible without the full engagement of local communities in the response.”

Categories: AFRICA

Government announces new funding to fight Ebola in West Africa

DUBLIN, Ireland, November 24, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ — The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Charlie Flanagan, TD, and the Minister for Development, Trade Promotion and North South Co-operation, Seán Sherlock, TD, today announced new funding of over €220,000 to respond to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

Today’s funding, to the NGO Plan, will support families in Sierra Leone who have been quarantined as a result of Ebola by providing food packages, fuel and other vital supplies.

The funding announced today is in addition to more than €4 million of Irish Government money being released this week to strengthen health services and tackle Ebola in West Africa.

This €4 million will help strengthen the health system in Liberia, one of the three countries in West Africa most affected by the Ebola outbreak. It is part of Ireland’s long term commitment to strengthening the fragile Liberian health system. It will support a programme which provides free basic healthcare to the most vulnerable people in Liberia, estimated at one quarter of the total population.

In 2014, Ireland will provide over €17 million to affected countries in West Africa, directly and through NGOs.

Announcing the support, Minister Flanagan said:

“I am pleased to announce, together with my colleague Minister Sherlock, that we have approved additional funding to tackle the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa.

“At last week’s meeting of EU Foreign Affairs Ministers, Ebola was again high on the agenda and the importance of enhancing the support for health workers and building health systems on the groups in affected countries was highlighted in the Council’s Conclusions.”

“Health is the main focus of Ireland’s development programme in Liberia and the Ebola outbreak has clearly shown the need for continued support investment in fragile health systems.

“The funding of €4 million will support health workers and provide for drug procurement and distribution; providing vital, life-saving care to some of the most vulnerable people.

“Supporting the motivation and retention of professional health workers within the Liberian health system is a crucial element of tackling the Ebola outbreak in the country.”

Minister Sherlock, who recently was the first European Minister to visit Sierra Leone since the crisis began, said:

“The levels of transmission of Ebola continue to be a cause of grave concern, with suspected cases now topping 15,000.

“Ebola will only be halted at its source in West Africa and the international community must continue to do all it can to contain this deadly virus.

“In addition to strengthening the health systems of affected countries, tackling Ebola effectively involves supporting families who have been quarantined because of a suspected or confirmed case of Ebola.”

Speaking about the funding for Plan in Sierra Leone, Minister Sherlock added:

“The new funding announced today for the Ebola response will help to reduce transmission of the disease by encouraging communities to work with the authorities to isolate potential cases.

“These communities must receive the essential assistance they need when quarantined. We cannot expect people to remain in their homes without basic food and other provisions. I have seen at first hand the fragility of the systems combating this disease and this funding will aid in that fight.

“Bringing the Ebola outbreak under control will be impossible without the full engagement of local communities in the response.”

Categories: AFRICA

Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the terrorist attack in Mandera, Kenya

NEW YORK, November 24, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ — The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack this morning on a commuter bus in Mandera, Kenya, in which at least twenty eight people were killed. He conveys his profound condolences to the families of the victims and expresses his solidarity with the people and the Government of Kenya.

The Secretary-General pledges the continuing support of the United Nations to Kenya and the countries of the region in their multidimensional efforts to address the scourge of terrorism. He hopes those responsible for today’s attack

Categories: AFRICA

Baird Condemns Cowardly Attack in Kenya

OTTAWA, Canada, November 24, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ — Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird today released the following statement:

“Canada condemns in the strongest possible terms the cowardly attack against a bus in Northern Kenya that took the lives of 28 innocent civilians.

“The deliberate targeting of civilians is despicable and demonstrates the inhumanity of those who perpetrated this attack.

“On behalf of all Canadians, I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the victims and to all Kenyans.

“Canada stands in solidarity with the Government of Kenya and will continue to support the fight against al-Shabaab.

“The Government of Canada continues to advise Canadians to exercise a high degree of caution in Kenya and to avoid all travel within 150 km of the Kenya-Somalia border due to the risk of kidnapping and attacks. Canadians are advised to be particularly vigilant in crowded places, and to monitor local media as well as the Travel Advice and Advisories for Kenya.”

Categories: AFRICA

Didier Reynders delighted about end of Ebola epidemic in the RDC

BRUSSELS, Kingdom of Belgium, November 24, 2014/African Press Organization (APO)/ — The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Didier Reynders is delighted about the the end of the Ebola epidemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (RDC), as announced by the government of the RDC and confirmed by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

This epidemic, different from the one in West Africa, could have had consequences as severe as in the other affected countries.

It was quickly and efficiently dealt with by the sanitary authorities of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Minister underlined the experience and the competence of the services in charge of the fight against Ebola in the RDC.

Categories: AFRICA