The Centre for Contemporary Art, Lagos (CCA, Lagos)
Centre for Contemporary Art, Lagos is an independent non-profit making visual art organisation set up in December 2007 to provide a platform for the development, presentation, and discussion of contemporary visual art and culture. It seeks to create new audiences and to prioritise media such as photography, film and video, performance and installation art which have been under-represented in Nigeria.
It supports, and presents the intellectual and critical work of art and culture practitioners through exhibitions, public programmes especially lectures talks, seminars and screenings as well as through workshops. In addition, it encourages and promotes the professionalisation of art production and curatorship in Nigeria and West Africa collaborating with artists, curators, writers, theorists and national and international organisations.
CCA, Lagos consists of an art space and a visual art library.
As to its objectives, it is aimed at to
- Develop a programme that will reflect the diversity of practice, ideas and approaches in the contemporary visual art and culture.
- Provide a public forum for the critical examination of ideas and cultural practices in the arts
- Develop new audiences for the visual arts by presenting a varied and stimulating programme of lectures, seminars, workshops and exhibitions
- Organise events that encourage the intellectual and critical development and an awareness of artistic and cultural issues around the world
- Contribute to the development and professionalisation of artistic production and curatorial practice in Nigeria and the West African region
- Collaborate with artists, curators, writers, theoreticians, organisations and institutions nationally and internationally
Web site and contact at http://www.ccalagos.org/who-we-are